Replies: 10410
Total votes: : 4

Last post: Today at 07:12:59 AM
Re: Forum gossip thread by DKG

A

Good For Tory MP, Niqab And Oath Don't Mix

Started by Anonymous, March 17, 2015, 05:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Window Lickers are viewing this topic.

Anonymous

Good for fucking him. You wanna hide your face taking the citizenship oath then go back to the 8th century paradise you came from.
QuoteOWEN SOUND, Ont. — A Conservative MP has apologized for telling a radio station that Muslim women who want to wear a niqab while taking the oath of citizenship should "stay the hell where you came from."

Larry Miller, who represents the riding of Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound, made the comment Monday in the wake of a Federal Court ruling that struck down a ban on face coverings during citizenship oaths.

"I think most Canadians feel the same. That's maybe saying it a little harshly, but it's the way I feel," Miller told 560 CFOS AM.

"I'm so sick and tired of people wanting to come here because they know it's a good country and then they want to change things before they even really officially become a Canadian, so I have no sympathy for her."

Miller apologized on Tuesday, calling his comments "inappropriate."

"I stand by my view that anyone being sworn-in as a new citizen of our country must uncover their face. However I apologize for and retract my comments that went beyond this," he said in the statement.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/17/tory-mp-tells-niqab-wearers-at-oath-ceremonies-to-stay-the-hell-where-you-came-from">http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/17/to ... -came-from">http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/17/tory-mp-tells-niqab-wearers-at-oath-ceremonies-to-stay-the-hell-where-you-came-from

Anonymous

Harper Derangement Syndrome
QuoteTalk about a lack of proportion. Some people will use any excuse to tear their hair out. The recent epidemic of Harper Derangement Syndrome we're seeing is case in point.

Based on the rhetoric I heard at a protest against Bill C-51 on the weekend, you'd think our country had been over taken by force by a gang of Fascist Statist Right-Wing Evil Dictatorship Control Freak Conservatives.

In front of Toronto City Hall Saturday, the most popular placard carried by the thousand or so protesters was a picture of Prime Minister Stephen Harper with the label "TERRORIST" slapped across his face.

"I'm more afraid of Stephen Harper than terrorists" read one protester's homemade sign.

Each to his own, but you'll excuse me if I side with the leader from the parliamentary democracy over the zealots who throw people in cages and burn them. But I'm quirky that way.

Also, someone should warn the lady with the sign that hopping on a plane to join ISIS comes with a greater penalty than driving to Ottawa to pose for photos in front of 24 Sussex Drive.

Let's not have too much fun with this though.

These people are genuinely messed up and need help. This is a unique form of mental illness in which folks living in a peaceful liberal democracy with a decent standard of living feel so guilty about their quality of life that their mind actually tricks them into thinking that they're worse off in Canadian society than in Burma, North Korea and so on, just so they can sleep better at night. It's like the geopolitical version of anorexia.

Think I'm being over the top? One speaker took to the podium to actually tell the crowd, "I haven't been sleeping at night because I am angry we are living in a quiet dictatorship."

You can't make this stuff up folks. Well you actually can... because that's precisely what these nuts have done.

Bill C-51 is no masterpiece. The bill's main problem is that the proposed tweaks likely won't have much of a difference when it comes to fighting terror.

Since October, a number of suspected jihadis have already been arrested. It's not like law enforcement is currently working with their hands tied behind their backs. The law we have now works.

But granting CSIS limited policing powers is no great scandal – most comparable countries already have such a set up. Yet this is the main point in the bill that gets people screaming that we're now living in a police state.

And the section on propaganda is poorly worded and must be cleaned up in committee to ensure it only applies to those explicitly advocating material support for ISIS, not to some confused tourist who happens to walk past a pro-Palestinian protest.

But these nuanced points are lost on the frothing mob, so desperately do they want to believe that we actually do live in a dictatorship.

Mental health experts speaking off the record have told me they haven't seen a case this bad since Bush Derangement Syndrome hit its peak a decade ago.

And at least George W. Bush invaded another country. There was at least something to legitimately get worked up about.

Doctors orders: Put your feet up. Lie down. Read the Wikipedia entry on C.D. Howe and take three doses of reality check with a little chill pill mixed in.

If you don't deal with this case of HDS soon, you'll be too far gone – spending the rest of your days standing in front of the library jabbering on about the microchips the government put in your head.

I don't trust the government either, but I've also read Don Quixote and that guy was messed. They're not giants, dude! They're just windmills!

HDS sufferers also need to understand that if Stephen Harper truly is an evil conservative terrorist dictator, he's doing a really crummy job of it.

When they're being honest, most Conservatives will admit they're disappointed with Harper's conservative track record.

Renee

None of that stuff about HD syndrome surprises me. People on the far extremes of both ideologies (liberal and conservative) are fucking nuts but the far lefties more so. Or at least they are more vocal. They all think that they are social activist crusaders and they all have this overwhelming need to be heard even when no one else wants to hear them. ac_toofunny
\"A man\'s rights rest in three boxes. The ballot-box, the jury-box and the cartridge-box.\"

Frederick Douglass, November 15, 1867.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Renee"None of that stuff about HD syndrome surprises me. People on the far extremes of both ideologies (liberal and conservative) are fucking nuts but the far lefties more so. Or at least they are more vocal. They all think that they are social activist crusaders and they all have this overwhelming need to be heard even when no one else wants to hear them. ac_toofunny

They have learned that the squeaky wheel gets greased. Our PM represents the Conservative party, but he is not really that conservative. His opponents have been saying he has a hidden agenda long before he ever got elected(fearmongering). This ridiculous hysteria is an extension of that. Truth of the matter is, the Liberal government of the 90's was more small c conservative than the Tories of today. However, the 90's were a much more conservative decade.

Anonymous

"stay the hell where you came from." to me, is hateful.

Romero

QuoteThose of us in the economic conservative and libertarian camps are upset with all the new niche tax credits, the record amount of debt and how the Conservatives will endlessly dole out pork barrel spending to special interests just so long as they can get a nifty photo op out of it.

Harper Derangement Syndrome?

Anonymous

Quote from: "Romero"
QuoteThose of us in the economic conservative and libertarian camps are upset with all the new niche tax credits, the record amount of debt and how the Conservatives will endlessly dole out pork barrel spending to special interests just so long as they can get a nifty photo op out of it.

Harper Derangement Syndrome?

I see, you want REAL fiscal conservatism like what we got when we arrived in fucking Canada in the fucking 90's?As a single man, I can see the fucking appeal. You have lots fucking saved for your fucking retirement and you don't want to burden me and my son. ac_razz

Anonymous

The federal government looks old and tired, but I do not think they are the right wingers they are portrayed as. Basically a centrist government.

Anonymous

Quote from: "seoulbro"The federal government looks old and tired, but I do not think they are the right wingers they are portrayed as. Basically a centrist government.

They are from the right wing fascists that the left portrays them as. Even Romero admits they are really all that conservative.

Gary Oak

Is there anything Canadian about the niqab ? The press and the opposition are all up in arms about this yet I think most Canadians agree with Harpers decision.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Gary Oak"Is there anything Canadian about the niqab ? The press and the opposition are all up in arms about this yet I think most Canadians agree with Harpers decision.

Like most issues they are not getting the whole story. They are getting their "info" from the anti-Harper marchers shrill noises.

Anonymous

Most Canadians recognize that people should be required to show their faces while taking the citizenship oath.
QuotePermit me today to make a modest proposal.

That is most of the 67% of Canadians surveyed in a recent Forum poll who believe niqab-wearing women should reveal their faces while taking the oath of citizenship, are not racists.

Certainly some of them are racists and are using their opposition to the niqab as a false flag for the fact that when all is said and done, they just hate Muslims.

But no more, I suspect, than are today condemning the surprise re-election of Likud Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu in Israel as a false flag for the fact that when all is said and done, they just hate Jews.

I would argue the main reason why more than two-thirds of 1,320 Canadian adults surveyed last Friday and Saturday oppose the wearing of the niqab at citizenship ceremonies, compared to only 22% in favour and 10% undecided, has nothing to do with what Liberal leader Justin Trudeau is suggesting it has to do with.

That is, as Trudeau said of Prime Minister Stephen Harper, that his attitude towards Muslims reflects the views of the (Liberal) government of William Lyon Mackenzie King in the lead-up to the Second World War, that when it came to Jewish immigration, "none is too many."

Nor are they falling for Harper's alleged fear-mongering and button-pushing about Islam, or his so-called male arrogance in "telling a woman what to wear."

Ditto that anyone who shares the views of more than two-thirds of Canadians must therefore also agree with Conservative MP Larry Miller that any Muslim woman who insists on wearing the niqab while taking the citizenship oath should, "stay the hell where you came from."

Rather, the main reason most Canadians feel the way they do on this issue is that they are reflecting the values of a modern, secular democracy in which they have been taught by many of the same people now condemning them to be intolerant of intolerance.

Surely it is reasonable to see the niqab (and burka) as symbols of the oppression of women, given that any country where many women wear them – take a tour through the Arab and Muslim countries of the Mideast –- has little respect for the rights of women.

The Qur'an, as moderate and progressive Muslims like Toronto Sun columnists Tarek Fatah and Farzana Hassan remind us, does not require women to wear niqabs or burkas, only that women (and men) dress modestly in public.

In fact, the niqab is a cultural dress, not mandatory religious attire.

Men in the countries described above, while also instructed by the Qur'an to dress modestly, certainly do not walk around in what amount to canvas tents, covered from head to toe, as a sign of their obedience to Allah.

This lest the exposure of even a man's ankle drive a woman into an uncontrollable sexual frenzy, for which the man will then be blamed for dressing promiscuously.

Nor are men in the countries referred to above required to be in the company of a female relative while they go about their daily lives, less they risk being assaulted, even raped, by gangs of roving female thugs for their immorality.

Our secular democracy also values the concepts of openness and transparency, including such principles as one having the right to face one's accusers and to observe their facial expressions and general demeanour, not only on the witness stand, but when interacting with others both in business and socially.

Finally, the glib allegation Harper is "telling women what to wear" is a trivialization of the serious issue that in many cases (not all) a woman wearing a niqab is doing so precisely because she has been ordered to do so by her husband, father or other male relatives.

The unfortunate thing about how the controversy of the niqab is playing out is that, as often occurs in our country, many politicians, pundits, academics and the intelligentsia are out of step with the public's reasonable and complex views.

And so they make absurd claims, such as the argument Canadians don't understand the issue, or resort to mockery, suggesting anyone who disagrees with them is a Neanderthal and a racist.

That, of course, is the logic of those arrogant souls we all know who constantly crave to put others in their place, the very thing, ironically, they accuse Harper of doing.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/18/more-reasonable-than-racist">http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/18/mo ... han-racist">http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/18/more-reasonable-than-racist